Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Journey to The $1 Million in 90 Days Challenge: Day 6 - Words Have Power

This is my first emotional post.

My 90-day journey to $1Million will not be complete if I haven’t fixed my relationship with my parents. For the longest time, this is the cross I’m carrying. I have a civil relationship with my father. I want that to be fixed while doing my journey towards the $1Million. $1Million will be useless if I could not share it to my family especially my father.

Well, you see, my father previously worked for a company for almost 20 years. He’s been an employee ever since I was born. He was a supervisor of that company. I could not imagine how much his monthly salary but I know it was more than enough our monthly household expenses. My mom does not worry about finances before.

Then my father retired. He got his retirement fund and invested it all in a business which after several years he could not keep intact. He started the business big and little by little he mismanaged his resources and now he can’t even support my siblings who are still studying. My father could not provide anymore. He cannot even provide enough capital to continue his business but he keeps on trying. He lacks discipline. He is negative towards his business. He is negative towards his life. Frustrated? I think so. But is he doing something to fix it? I don’t know.

My mom is always crying when my siblings are enrolling for the semester due to lack of funds.
This is the reason why I have this seed of anger in my heart for my father. I don’t like seeing my mother crying in front of me. I don’t like her worrying too much on tuition fees. I don’t like it when my father is oversleeping in the afternoon while customers are calling for a delivery.

Before, I thought that I have done enough. But for the last couple of days I realized that what I did is not enough. I need to create more drastic moves. The title of this post is the key to fix that relationship. I know the answers are within me. I know my words have power. It can either build or destroy relationships. So for the longest time, I did not create an open communication with my father. I just escape discussion by being silent most of the time. Well, it does not serve me well. So instead of being silent, I will talk more. I will talk with passion and positivity to build the relationship back. I can do this.

I’ll greet him good morning even if he does not respond.

I’ll tell him stories even if he does not want to listen.

I’ll listen to him more even if I don’t like the topic.

I’ll do my best to give him more positive mindset.

I can do this!

3 comments:

  1. Elvin!
    Kaya natin 'to! I can super relate!
    just a little background of my family..

    http://90daysto1million.blogspot.com/2010/05/66-days-more-meet-my-new-friend-debts.html

    hmmmmmmmmm..im glad i read your post, kasi i realized that i'm not doing anything to them! maybe i have given up na siguro! hahaha! they're both at home right now, my dad's on construction and doesn't have any projects right now, my mom's a housewife but sideline on cooking and no orders so they're at home..doing "something", like cleaning the house! hahaha.. my gulaaaaay!

    maybe i should resign so that they won't be expecting from me and they would work hard to get their own money! hahaha..watchuthink???

    hmmmmm..during the early days of the challenge i was really doing something for them, helping out, but they're not helping themselves and its frustrating! I even have them met with kuya tony but i dont know what happened, they're just the same right now. they are like nails, you see, stuck! Unless, i have to pull them out, and but like pulling nail, pulling them out is painful, right?

    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...anyway, let's do something about this. ACTION! i'll call home right after posting this, hehehe..im doing this in the office.. ehehehehe astig to noh! hehehehe

    let's work on this, help each other out!ayos? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hantz,


    Yeah. Tito Tony told me that we have the same problem. We can help each other out. Though, I haven't replied to Tito Tony yet for my father's background.

    I guess, this is something we can tell the world once we get through this.

    Agree?

    By the way I PMd you my number to get in touch..

    Have a nice day. Thanks for commenting.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make great things happen if you choose to. Choose to change. Choose to act now.

    ReplyDelete